Thursday, June 04, 2015

People I May Know...?

Sometimes, Facebook's "People You May Know" (PIMK) list can be...strange. 

This post started out as "Don't Stop Believin'," after I found this on my "Friends You May Know" list: 


But Facebook wasn't done insisting I know a celebrity or two. For instance...


So now, I will use this post to update you ZPT fans on just how many celebrities and famous folks Facebook believes I am likely to make my BFF.  

For example...



This should be fun...!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I may not know him...but wish I did! He's Dr. Frankenfurter! The butler from "Clue"! Rooster in the only good film version of "Annie"! That guy who ripped off Dan on "Roseanne"! 


Finally, one of the celebrity "friends" makes sense!
After all, we both have MS, and I subscribe to his foundation's website and magazine. It's nice to get one of these PIMKs who really is a person I have something in common with.

And then there's this one...


Not only do I have nothing in common with this particular PIMK...but I am also fairly certain he is dead, which must make it difficult to check one's Facebook. And as a Christian, even a very non-traditional one like myself, he is just not gonna be a bosom buddy...

This next one I am only one degree away from, according to the time-honored rules of Six Degrees of Separation:


99% of you now probably think I smoke so much reefer, the powers-that-be at Facebook has no choice but to believe that Cheech and I just must be friends. Don't lie. I know you did.

It probably doesn't help that I live in Oregon: the first state to decriminalize small personal amounts of marijuana (way back in the early 70's!), one of the first to legalize medical marijuana, and now it's the latest in a handful of states to decriminalize it altogether. 


But I suspect the real reason has to do with a certain "That 70's Show" star I met a few years ago.


No, not that one. This one:


I met Tommy Chong and his lovely wife, Shelby, at an autograph-signing gig at Mary Jane's House of Glass. I was in my scooter, and when it came time to take a photo with Jonathan and the Chongs (band name idea alert!), Tommy offered to come to me, but I assured him I could stand and walk the few steps to him. As I started getting up, Tommy stood up, waved his arms like Vegas magician...


...and loudly proclaimed, "For my next trick, my lovely assistance will arise! ARISE!"

The whole shop erupted with laughter! And I was quite flattered: I can now proudly say that Tommy Chong once created a joke, just for me. 

I then shook the man's hand and said...


ME: I want to thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
TC: Thanks, but...why?
ME: For all the hard work you've done over the years for medical marijuana. Thanks to you and others like you, I have that option if and when I ever need it. Thank you, on behalf of me and my support group. Many of them would be on far worse shape without that option. 
TC: You're welcome, man. It's a cause that's important to me. I've met a lot of great people who need it and don't need to be afraid of getting busted for it. (short pause) Is it ok to ask?

(I knew exactly what he meant and was touched that he both cared & asked if I wanted to share my medical diagnosis rather than just asking what's wrong with me and expecting an answer. Too many people do that, and it's a big pet peeve of mine.)

ME: I have a progressive form of multiple sclerosis.
TC: That's rough, man. You hanging in there?
ME: Every day!
TC: (shaking my hand again) Stay strong!


I immediately added him on Facebook, and have enjoyed his infrequent but enjoyable posts. I prayed for him when he got diagnosed with cancer not long after we met...and I prayed for him when he got yet another cancer diagnosis last week. 

If I could say anything to Tommy Chong, it would be the words he so kindly said to me on the day we met: stay strong!

***********************************************

Yep, there's more PIMK to share with y'all, such as...


Is it just me, or does he look like he's been spending a lot of time in Colorado recently?

Maybe he's just very relaxed. Laid-back.

I don't think that could be said of this next celebrity to show up in my PIMK list:



I must say, I'm pretty impressed that 22 of my friends are also Daniel Trejo's friends!




















Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home